Monday, November 16, 2015

A Minute of Biscuit #10 - Golden Retriever & Laser Pointer

If you haven't noticed by now, my dog is usually scared of anything new or any change that comes her way. The trainer I took her to during the AKC STAR Puppy Program said that this was not normal for a golden retriever. I had Norwegian Elkhounds before this and they are skittish dogs but I wasn't sure how a golden was supposed to act and thought it must be normal for them, too. Because of this skittishness, the trainer and the vet both told me I need to introduce her to new places, people, and objects all the time so she gets used to the idea that change isn't necessarily bad.



I had this in mind when I went shopping over the weekend. I wasn't particularly looking for anything in the pet section of the Family Dollar store. But, when my eyes caught a laser pointer shoved in a corner bin, I grabbed it!



I have seen many pets on YouTube play with a laser pointer light. This includes dogs, cats, and even turtles. So, I decided that for a $1.00 worth of investment, this might be a good tool I can use to get Biscuit used to a new object.



The below video shows her reaction, and yes, that is the very first time she saw a laser pointer. I didn't even do anything behind the scenes first so you can get an idea of what I am talking about.







So, you can see at first she was a little curious, but then she went and hid behind the table. Biscuit always grabs her blanket and shoves it in her mouth for comfort when she is nervous, scared, or anxious. That is a habit she has, but the blanket is supposed to console her just like how a small child uses one.



I was very pleased that she did come when I called, dropped her blanket, and decided to play. And boy did she play! That was great exercise for her on this rainy November day and I also found that when she follows the light, I can lure her into certain positions like I do with treats during training. (This gives me an idea for a new video series of training Biscuit!) Of course, that would be for my other YouTube channel. :)



I hope you all have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment