Sunday, August 16, 2015

A Minute of Biscuit #3 - Brushing a Golden Retriever's Teeth

Another week has come and gone so I like to share with you another clip of Biscuit to brighten your day! Right now, I need some brightening up as it is stormy outside with rain pouring down. Dreary days call for a dreary outlook on life sometimes.





I embedded this video below, which this week is a clip of my brushing Biscuit's teeth.









Now I know what some of you are thinking, "You actually brush your dogs teeth?!" Like that is the grossest thing in the world. Well, maybe your right, but what I think is more disgusting is bad dog breath. LOL. You see Biscuit is like any other golden retriever, she is a licker. And, I hated to think just where that tongue of hers has been. I thought, if brushing my teeth helps get rid of bad breath and germs, then brushing my dogs teeth would do the same!





It really isn't that hard to brush dog's teeth either. They really do most of the work for you by making the biting and licking motions seen in the video. The toothpaste I use is K9 toothpaste. It is not human toothpaste. Dog toothpaste is formulated to work better in your dogs mouth and not make them sick. I started brushing Biscuit's teeth when she was 6 months old and got her into a regular routine of having it done. She actually doesn't feel ready for bed until she has gotten her teeth brushed!



If you have an older dog that you want to get on a teeth brushing routine, they may object at first. You should first put some toothpaste on your finger and get them used to the taste of the paste. Then, you can work up to an actual toothbrush. When we are camping, I use dog tooth wipes (also in her favorite mint flavor). The wipes feel and look like baby wipes in my opinion. They don't do the best job of brushing my dogs teeth, but she doesn't object to those either. And, it is an easy way to pack with the wipes when going on a trip than to remember to pack with her toothbrush! I have a hard time remembering my toothbrush on a trip let alone someone else's! LOL.





I do encourage you to give it a try, though. Believe me your visitors, family, and even your dog will thank you for it in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment