Thursday, September 3, 2015

A Minute of Biscuit #6 - Dog Walking on the Treadmill or Not?

Even though it isn't officially fall, the beginning of September always makes me feel the need to prepare for the new season. School has started and I perform my fall cleaning. I reorganize, store my summer items, take out the sweaters, and of course... get the dog trained to exercise indoors instead of outdoors.



Yes, I have trained my dog to walk on a treadmill. She started using it when she was almost a year old and knows all the ins and outs of walking on it. However, she didn't seem like she was too enthused walking on it today. Check out the video below!







Biscuit seems to be able to hop off and on the thing without any problem. At least she remembered that from last year! But, I don't know how to get her to stay on the treadmill by herself to walk. I thought about using treats, but that kind of defeats the purpose of exercising in the first place don't you think? I also wouldn't want her drooling over the track and the crumbs would be a chore to clean up with the conveyor belt dropping them from front to back.



I don't want to tie her to the machine either. I have seen people do this and wonder, what if the dog has to get off. I want her to be able to comfortably walk, too. She is a large dog so her stride is just about as long as the treadmill track I have.



So far, I have come up with the routine of standing by her side making sure to block attempts of prematurely jumping off the machine after she jumps on. But, I really don't want to stand their all day either as I like to keep an eye on her but still get work done of my own. Like vacuuming! (Yes, I have a lot of dog hair to clean up with having her in the house. But, she is oh so worth it!)



Does your dog walk on the treadmill? And if so, how do you keep your pooch from jumping on and off? Please comment below!



Thanks everyone and have a wonderful Labor Day Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment